Yet again, this is a required response to a manifesto on changethis.com. This week we have Brainwashed by Seth Godin. In this particular manifesto Godin asserts that we are in the midst of a new industrial revolution. The following is a summary of two of the seven layers to reinvention of the self. Reading the manifesto (linked above) prior to reading my analysis would be highly recommended...
1) CONNECT: Some claim that social media is a wreck, a black hole of wasted time, procrastination, and general worthlessness. Godin disagrees, and I concur. Social media is the future. It provides the capabilities to be completely connected with anyone and everyone anywhere in the world, and that is a simple fact that needs embracing. Gauging your success off of the number of 'friends' you have, or the popularity and feedback on your posts is misleading. Using social media to spread ideas, collaborate, and just keep in contact with others from whom you are physically isolated is the beauty of it. Godin puts it quite simply, "We grew up isolated. The future is connected. We grew up unable to have substantial interactions with anyone except a small circle of family and co-workers. Now, we earn the right to interact with just about anyone.
I think this changes everything... if we let it."
2) ACKNOWLEDGING THE LIZARD: Godin's lizard is the traditional little voice in your head telling you over and over to play it safe and obey the instructions given. This internal hindrance wants you to keep your head down and play along. It is brainwashing at its best (worse?). If you can acknowledge the lizard holding you back, you can cripple the effect and ignore that voice. This frees you to create and work freely, doing what matters to you to your best ability.
These two particular layers speak to me particularly because I have embraced them without even knowing them for some time. I know that social media is the heart of the future, and long before my other friends I was exploring Facebook and Twitter and seeing what they were capable of. The ability to connect the entire world through the internet and share ideas across cultures and countries is amazing to me. And I acknowledged my 'lizard' some time ago, I just never knew to call it a lizard. My blogging for this class is a perfect example. I would like to meet another person who spent over 30+ hours formatting their blog, like I did. It wasn't required by any means, I just wanted to see what this website was capable of, and make my blog look the way I wanted. These two, combined with the other layers, is a very good starting point. Definitely worth the time to try out, because they free your creative spirit.
0 comments:
Post a Comment